A New Building Construction Update:
Steel Beams Rise from the Ground
May 3, 2013—Construction continues on the dual-purpose collections and conservation resource center to be located on GW’s Virginia Science & Technology Campus in Ashburn, Virginia. The building will feature a 22,000 square foot state-of-the-art collections and conservation resource center and an adjacent 30,000 square feet of additional space, to be designed and built-out for future academic and research activities.
Spring will see the start of interior work, following the completion of the building shell and the roof. Occupation of the facility is projected for fall 2013 and full operation of the facility is projected for early 2014.
Site and vicinity plan (Click image for larger view). The inset map in the lower left depicts the location of the new building within the University Center development, at the corner of GW Boulevard and Presidential Drive, on GW's Virginia Science & Technology Campus in Ashburn, VA. Credit: Cooper-Carry.
- Recent Construction Activity:
- Steel construction started April 8 and will be complete in early May;
- First course of pavement has been placed and installation of the final conduits for utility services is underway;
- Interior wall layout has been completed.
April 2013: Steel construction in progress on the collections and conservation resource center, located at the GW Virginia Science & Technology Campus in Ashburn, Va. Photo Credit: Prospera-U.S.
April 2013: View of the collections storage room from Knoll Square. The 22,000 square foot facility has been designed for the care and study of The Textile Museum collections, the Albert H. Small Washingtoniana Collection and other university collections. Photo Credit: Prospera-U.S.
April 2013: View of the partially constructed three-story academic wing from the new parking lot off Knoll Square. The 30,000 square feet of additional space will be designed and built-out for future academic and research activities. Photo Credit: Prospera-U.S.
April 2013: Walkway to the lobby pictured from the new parking lot off of Knoll Square. The academic wing is on the left and the collections and conservation resource center is on the right. Photo Credit: Prospera-U.S.
- Upcoming Construction Activity:
- Installation of the brick exterior of the building is scheduled to start at the beginning of May and be complete in July;
- Wall construction will start once the concrete roof and vapor barrier system is installed in May and will be complete by the end of June;
- Window installation is scheduled to begin in June;
- Completion of the interiors is due in September, with final inspections continuing through October.
Webcam Now Available
There is now a webcam available where interested parties can monitor construction progress remotely. Please visit this link for the site camera. The site also features a “Time-Lapse” button where visitors can watch the building “being erected” in a 2-minute video generated using accumulated photos over time.
Questions or Concerns
For project questions and/or concerns, please contact David Dent, Executive Director of Planning, Development, and Construction at (202) 740-0907 or by e-mail.